Butterfly valves have a disc-type blocking element that prevents the media from passing through the ring seat in the housing by turning the flap around an axis by 90° cross-flow.
Benefits of the disc-type blocking elements
- simplicity of the installation;
- low flow resistance;
- can be used as regulating elements;
- has a wide range of design variants (different sizes and diameters);
- the sealing element can be easily replaced in case of leakage;
- have good heat resistance;
- relatively low cost;
- weight and dimensions are 2-5 times smaller than those of the ball
- general ergonomic requirements acc. to GOST 12.2.049.
- service life – up to 15 years.
Disadvantages of the disc-type blocking elements
- it’s necessary to install a redactor for the manual control of the system with a big diameter;
- high structural integrity is achieved only in devices with a yielding industrial-rubber sealing while the whole-metal variants are not as good at shutting-off the liquid flow;
- in case the device is used as a control valve it’s difficult to get the flow characteristics.